Kotaku received a tip from a developer who worked on the original Xbox console, who explained how to trigger the secret, which displays a credits scene listing those who worked on the Xbox Dashboard. Kotaku tested out the trick and confirmed it does, in fact, work.
To access this newly discovered Easter egg, you will need to go to “Music,” and insert an audio CD. On the Audio CD screen, you’ll need to select “Copy,” then click “Copy” again and then choose “New Soundtrack.” It will then ask you to rename the soundtrack title, which you need to rename ‘Timmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!’ (yes, with exactly 26 Ys)Once the console finishes copying the tracks, head back to the main menu on the console’s dashboard, click on “Settings,” then “System Info.” A new screen listing will appear that was not previously there, and it contains a list of four members that were a part of the “Xbox Dashboard Team.”
This is not the only Easter egg you can find on the original Xbox. There is a more commonly known Easter egg, which you can activate by going into the audio CD ripping screen on the console, and naming the new rip “<<Eggsβox>>” which would trigger a hidden credit roll. However, according to the original Xbox creator Seamus Blackley, there appears to be at least one more undiscovered Easter egg for the console. It has something to do with the console’s boot animation, but we’ll need to find out more about that in the future.
If you want to learn more curiosities about the original Xbox, it’s very much worth checking out our Podcast Unlocked special with Phil Spencer, Peter Moore and Blackley, with the three Xbox legends revealing many stories about the creation of Microsoft’s machine.
Taylor is the Associate Tech Editor at IGN. You can follow her on Twitter @TayNixster.
IGN Video Games
- A Nearly 20-Year-Old Half-Life Easter Egg Was Just Found
- Mass Effect 3 designer maps out a Mars Rover easter egg kept hidden for 10 years
- Cold War Mauer Der Toten Easter egg guide
- Transformers: War for Cybertron: Kingdom: Every Beast Wars Easter egg
- Piano Collections Final Fantasy VII Remake Easter Egg Spotted Using Photo Mode
- Sea Of Thieves Has A Monkey Island Easter Egg
- P.T. SILENT HILLS EASTER EGG in WATCH DOGS LEGION BLOODLINE DLC Walkthrough Gameplay Part 11
- Where To Find GTA Online’s Terminator Easter Egg
- Free Guy’s Easter egg-heavy ending was inspired by the entire crew
- This Cyberpunk 2077 Easter egg congratulates players for finding it