By now, you have probably heard of the lawsuit that Nintendo had filed against ROM-hosting website ROMUniverse and its owner, Matthew Storman. The website hosted ROMs of Nintendo’s games, and offered a subscription service for those that wanted to remove the download size limit. Earlier this summer, Nintendo won the lawsuit, and the courts ordered Storman to pay Nintendo $2,100,000 in damages. This would be done via monthly $50 payments.
Well, last month, Nintendo reported to the court that they haven’t received anything at all, and requested a permanent injunction against Storman out of concern that Storman may bring back ROMUniverse. The judge has decided to grant Nintendo’s injunction, and the court has ordered Storman to “permanently destroy all unauthorized Nintendo games or other unauthorized copies of Nintendo’s intellectual property including movies, books, and music” by August 17th.
The judge also ordered Storman to file a declaration with the court that he has complied by August 20th. If he doesn’t do these things, Storman could face charges of perjury. As for the injunction, it means that Storman can no longer distribute, copy, sell or play unauthorized Nintendo ROMs, and he can’t any Nintendo trademarks or logos.
My Nintendo News
- Owner of defunct ROM site ordered to “permanently destroy” all unauthorised Nintendo games • Eurogamer.net
- ROM-hosting website owner ordered to pay over $2 million in damages as Nintendo wins lawsuit
- Nintendo obtains permanent injunction against RomUniverse, owner ordered to destroy pirated games
- Court Orders Popular ROM Website To “Destroy” All Of Its Unauthorised Nintendo Games
- Nintendo Orders ROM Site To Destroy Games Or Face Legal Action
- Looks Like The Last of Us 2 Has Been Permanently Discounted on PS Store
- T-Mobile branding removed from Overwatch and Call of Duty League websites
- Alan Wake Remastered pops up on retailer websites with October release date • Eurogamer.net
- New Earthbound 64 Footage Found On Old Nintendo CD-ROM
- Nintendo Sues ROM Site Into Oblivion