120fps! PC cross-play! More!
Developer RageSquid’s extreme downhill biking game Descenders is now available on Xbox Series X/S, bringing with it a free next-gen enhancements update for all Xbox One owners that introduces a 120fps mode, PC cross-play, and more.
Descenders, if you’re unfamiliar, serves up an exhilarating freeriding experience as players – either solo or competitively – race, trick, and flip their way across a procedurally generated world. It was warmly received at launch, but really made its mark – and found a significant audience – once it released on Xbox Game Pass.
Following the game’s well-deserved, and continuing, success on Microsoft’s subscription service, RageSquid announced it was working on a next-gen enhancements upgrade for Xbox Series X/S – and that update is now finally here.
The update, which is free to existing owners and Xbox Game Pass subscribers, ups the player lobby count from four (as seen in Descenders’ last-gen version) to eight, and introduces a variety of resolution and frame-rate options.
Over on Xbox Series X, players can choose between High Performance mode (running at 120fps/1080p), Performance mode (4k/60fps), and Resolution mode (4k with a variable 40-60fps). Series S owners, meanwhile, get a Performance mode (1080p/60fps) and a Resolution mode offering a variable 40-60fps at 1440p.
There’s also cross-play with the PC version and various visual upgrades, including increased foliage, improved terrain and shadow quality, significantly enhanced draw distances, plus new SSAO features, motion blur, and “greatly improved” anti-aliasing.
To celebrate the arrival of Descenders on Xbox Series X/S – it’s available as a physical and digital release – alongside its free enhancements update, the game is currently discounted by 25% on the Microsoft Store, meaning it’ll cost £14.99 instead of the usual £19.99 for the next week.
- Downhill’s new Daily Ride modifiers add Mirrored Mode and more • Eurogamer.net
- Skyward Sword HD enhancements detailed • Eurogamer.net
- Jurassic World Evolution 2 dev video talks dino behaviours, habitat enhancements, and more • Eurogamer.net
- Acclaimed top-down racer Art of Rally comes to Xbox and Switch and next week • Eurogamer.net
- Annapurna’s acclaimed afterlife puzzler I Am Dead now available on PlayStation and Xbox • Eurogamer.net
- Switch eShop deals – Celeste, Descenders, Gal Gun, Manifold Garden, more
- Mini Motorways’ acclaimed minimalist road-building strategy comes to Steam in July • Eurogamer.net
- Life is Strange dev’s acclaimed supernatural mystery thriller Tell Me Why is currently free • Eurogamer.net
- Wadjet Eye’s acclaimed urban fantasy adventure Unavowed is now on Switch • Eurogamer.net
- Acclaimed puzzler A Monster’s Expedition heading to Switch, getting “major” free expansion next week • Eurogamer.net