Australian game developers may have an easier time bringing in foreign talent, as the country this week expanded the list of skilled occupations eligible for priority visa applications and paths to permanent residency, as reported by ScreenHub.
The new rules aren’t specific to game developers, but the addition of software and applications programmers and multimedia specialists to the list of eligible occupations gives studios and developers an opportunity to take advantage of the country’s Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL).
The PMSOL was introduced in September to help ensure critical positions are filled as the country recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic. This week’s expansion added 22 jobs to that list, bringing it to a total of 41.
“Government has received valuable feedback from Australian business stakeholders on critical skill vacancies, which has been considered together with data from the National Skills Commission, in order to develop today’s update to the Priority Migration Skilled Migration List,” Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alex Hawke MP said.
This follows the May announcement of the Digital Games Tax Offset, under which the Australian government will give developers spending a minimum of $500,000 in the country a 30% tax break.
- Outriders' next patch makes the grind for legendaries a lot easier • Eurogamer.net
- New Nintendo Switch Update Makes 'Memory Full' Tweak To Make Patches Easier To Download
- Stardew Valley mod makes fishing easier in the game
- Stardew Valley mod makes finding the last fish you need for your bundle much easier
- Intrepid Pokémon GO Fans Have Discovered A Tactic That Makes Raid Bosses Easier To Catch
- The Ascent is what you get when a group of veteran developers makes whatever they want • Eurogamer.net
- Destiny 2’s core activities all get a rep system and easier resets
- Get an Alienware 240Hz monitor for half price as part of this eBay Australia sale
- Take-Two's Zelnick says the industry's pandemic boost is permanent
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Previous event-only spirits now permanent additions