Black Skylands was a pleasant surprise from IGN’s Summer of Gaming showcase. It’s a sandbox sim where you build and customize an airship and use it to explore a vast open world, build skybases, and craft new weapons. It reminds me a bit of games like Terraria, only with a top-down view and at least 200 percent more sky pirates.
The new gameplay trailer provides a nice overview. The idea, it seems, is that you use an airship to discover and explore different floating islands full of nasty monsters and then use an arsenal of guns to blow them up so you can pilfer the island’s resources and use them to expand your own sky base. There’s even a grappling hook you can use to pull enemies out into the open sky to drop them into the abyss below.
- Black Skylands Coming to Steam Early Access June 11
- Black Skylands Now Available in Early Access
- Black Skylands Coming July 9
- Baldur’s Gate 3 Not Leaving Early Access Before 2023; Patch 5, Early Access Development and More
- Sandbox building RPG Hytale isn’t coming until 2023 ‘at the earliest’
- Black Skylands Is the Sky Pirate Fantasy Life Sim I Never Knew I Needed
- Death Trash: Early access Steam PC release shows old-school RPG promise
- Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Has Now Entered Early Access
- Hell Let Loose set to leave Early Access in July
- Tactical shooter Synthetik 2 is coming to Early Access