Niko Partners is projecting the Chinese console gaming market to grow through 2025.
The research firm has released its China Console Games Market report, which found that the grey market and legal spending on console hardware and software would total $2.46 billion by 2025.
Given the firm’s 2023 assessment of $1.84 billion for the console market in China, that works out to a five-year compound annual growth rate of 5.9%.
The audience of console gamers is expected to grow even faster, jumping from 13.2 million last year to 23.9 million in 2025.
“The increase in spending through 2025 will primarily be driven by ongoing sales of the Nintendo Switch, a new console cycle with PS5 and Xbox Series X|S and increased demand for high-end games from Chinese gamers,” said Niko founder and president Lisa Hanson.
“Other areas of growth opportunities in console gaming include subscriptions, free-to-play (F2P) and cloud gaming. Subscriptions are set to benefit console platform holders the most, while F2P and cloud gaming will benefit game developers.”
While China’s console market is growing, it will remain a relatively small part of the country’s overall gaming market. Niko believes console gaming accounted for 4.1% of China’s entire gaming spend last year, with that figure set to rise to 4.3% by 2025.
- India's gaming market to grow 113% by 2025 - KPMG
- The Ramp Offers A Minimalist, Relaxing Approach To Skateboard Games
- Analytics firm believes that the Nintendo Switch family of systems will sell over 155 million units by the end of 2025
- Intel product roadmap laid out through 2025, expect big gains in little time
- Mass Effect 5 may ditch Frostbite for Unreal, but don’t expect it until 2025
- China’s used GPU market is flooded with RTX 3060s to RTX 3080s under MSRP
- Ubisoft moving to "hybrid" approach to working from home • Eurogamer.net
- Ubisoft pivoting Assassin's Creed to live service approach
- Raccoon Logic's approach to diversity and culture | DLC
- How to nurture a holistic, proactive, approach to technology problem-solving