Sony recently opened up pre-orders for Horizon Forbidden West, but not for the first time in recent weeks, was met with backlash for its pricing of the game. Not only was it confirmed that the game would not offer free next-gen upgrades, but people wouldn’t even have the option of paying to upgrade to a costlier cross-gen bundle. And it didn’t help in the slightest that Sony itself had previously said that there would be a free upgrade option in the game. It seems, however, that they’ve listened to the feedback, and have responded pretty quickly.
In an update to the PlayStation Blog post that announced pre-orders for the game, PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan has acknowledged that Sony was “off the mark” with its pricing for Horizon Forbidden West. They’ve now reversed that decision though, confirming that those who get the game on PS4 will be able to upgrade to the PS5 version for free.
“Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West,” Ryan wrote. “While the pandemic’s profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer.”
Meanwhile, Ryan also confirms that all future cross-gen PlayStation games will offer a $10 PS4-to-PS5 upgrade option, including Gran Turismo 7 and the next God of War. He wrote: “I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.”
Credit to Sony for reversing the decision and listening to feedback and responding pretty promptly. It is still a shame, though, that free upgrades won’t be offered on future first party cross-gen releases.
Video Game News, Reviews, Walkthroughs And Guides | GamingBolt
- Horizon Forbidden West PS4 to PS5 Upgrade Will Be Free But Sony’s Future First-Party Games’ Upgrades Will Cost $10
- Horizon Forbidden West will get free PS4-to-PS5 upgrade after all
- Horizon Forbidden West Will Now Offer Free PS4 to PS5 Upgrade, Sony Confirms
- Horizon Forbidden West Standard and Special editions do not include Dual Entitlement for PS4 and PS5 versions • Eurogamer.net
- Horizon Forbidden West PS5, PS4 Pre-Orders Live Now, Special Editions Detailed
- Horizon Forbidden West Release Date Set for February 2022 on PS5, PS4
- Horizon Forbidden West has no upgrade option from PS4 to PS5
- Strike Is a Board Game You Can Play Within Horizon Forbidden West on PS5, PS4
- Fans Want Sony to Reconsider Horizon Forbidden West’s PS4 to PS5 Upgrade
- Sony U-turns on controversial Horizon Forbidden West PS4 to PS5 upgrade policy following backlash • Eurogamer.net