We’re still riding high on the E3 2023 Elden Ring reveal. There was so much to unpack with the full gameplayer trailer, and now we’re learning even more. First, we learned a little bit about the game’s co-op. Then we got some new insight into the open world. Now? Now it’s time for the Spirit Body companions to have their time in the spotlight.
What are Spirit Body companions in Elden Ring?
In a recent Famitsu interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki, he confirmed that Elden Ring players can summon what is called a Spirit Body. These spectral beings are pretty useful; they can help you when you’re in a tight spot mid-combat. If this feels new to fans of Bloodborne and Dark Souls, that’s because it is. These companions are completely on your side and, at least according to the translation from Japanese, can be commanded to perform certain roles.
Miyazaki also confirmed that these spirits are actually the spirits of fallen enemies, so it’s like a one-two punch of complete destruction. Not only have you killed them, but you’re also making them essentially do your bidding. Nice.
He also confirmed that these ghosties are interchangeable, meaning you can collect various types of fighting ghosts and swap them depending on your specific need in battle. They can also be upgraded, which is a nice touch when progressing through the Elden Ring storyline.
During the interview, the director outlined a few different ways that these companions can be useful. Need something with reach? Summon a fallen archer. Need hefty damage? A spirit with a sword should do nicely. They can also be used as distractions, allowing players to strategically place one of these ghostly companions in a spot to detract attention away from themselves. I would imagine this would be great for someone who may be waiting on a cooldown or simply needs to regroup.
Interested in learning even more? You can read the full interview right here. While you’re at it, be sure to check out our E3 2023 events hub here for any news you may have missed, including more about Elden Ring itself.
- Elden Ring Publisher Bandai Namco E3 2023 Broadcast Date Announced; Will There Be Elden Ring?
- Elden Ring – George R.R. Martin Says His Work on the Game Was Finished “Years Ago”
- George R. R. Martin’s work on Elden Ring was finished “years ago”
- Elden Ring – Things You MISSED In The Gameplay Trailer (4K)
- Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, Elden Ring highlight Summer Game Fest
- A Totally Serious Breakdown Of Elden Ring’s New Trailer
- Elden Ring Pre-Order Editions | Fextralife
- Elden Ring Fans Are Obsessed With A Pot Goblin
- Elden Ring Coming January 21
- Top RPG News Of The Week: June 13th (Ohhhh Elden Ring, Summer Game Fest 2023, Salt and Sacrifice and More!)