Jujutsu Kaisen, the manga behind one of 2023’s most popular anime series, is going on hiatus due to creator Gege Akutami’s health. According to a statement in Weekly Shonen Jump No. 29, and confirmed by the Shonen Jump Twitter account, the series is expected to pick back up in a month.
“We wish Gege Akutami a restful time off and look forward to the next chapter,” Shonen Jump shared on Twitter, along with a handwritten note from the creator himself.
— 少年ジャンプ編集部 (@jump_henshubu) June 10, 2023
The hiatus doesn’t come as a huge surprise. More recently, the latest chapter of the manga ran with unfinished panels, signaling to some fans that Akutami might be planning a break. Still, the cause of the manga creator’s ailment is unclear, with the automated English translation of the Japanese Shonen Jump tweet citing “poor physical condition.”
In their statement, as translated by unofficial accounts, Akutami said that it’s “not any serious illness” and that their “mental health is completely fine, so do not worry about it.”
Though Akutami may be stepping away, Jujutsu Kaisen remains immensely popular. In March, Studio MAPPA announced the first feature-length movie based on the series.
Polygon – All
- Jujutsu Kaisen Manga Is Going On Hiatus
- Jujutsu Kaisen manga returns to Weekly Shonen Jump after hiatus
- More Uniqlo Jujutsu Kaisen Anime Clothing Arrives This Month
- Jujutsu Kaisen PUBG Mobile Crossover Announced
- New Pop Up Parade Figures Include Naruto, Jujutsu Kaisen Characters
- Who is Anne Yatco? Jujutsu Kaisen English Voice Actor Joins Genshin Impact
- Singer and Actor Gackt Goes On Hiatus Due To Vocal Disorder
- VIZ reveals product description for Animal Crossing: Deserted Island Diary manga which is due 14th September
- How Double Fine Handles Mental Health In Psychonauts 2