Square Enix is pitching Outriders as its “next big franchise” as the publisher reveals that more than 3.5 million unique players gave the looter shooter a go during its first month on the market. While the statistic doesn’t reflect sales, there seems to be enough confidence in the IP and developer People Can Fly going forwards that the company feels safe in promising that Outriders will be expanded upon in the future.
In a press release, Jon Brooke, co-head of studio at Square Enix External Studios, said: “Launching a new game IP is never easy and we remain very grateful for the community’s support and feedback – we continue to listen carefully and want to assure everyone that we are committed to improving and enhancing the experience in the coming weeks and months. We also look forward to expanding on Outriders in the future.” Average playtime is said to be around 30 hours within its user base and engagement with cooperative play is very high.
We have to assume Xbox Game Pass played a large part in boosting Outriders’ player numbers since the game came to the service on the same day it launched — a move we thought would crater sales on PS5 and PS4. Square Enix definitely seems happy enough with the number of copies it has sold, however. News on the Outriders front has been fairly quiet since its worst bugs and glitches were fixed, so maybe new content will be revealed next month. E3 2023 is just around the corner, after all.
Were you one of those 3.5 million users playing Outriders in its first month? What sort of content do you want for the game in the future? Post your thoughts in the comments below.
Push Square | Latest Updates
- Square Enix calls Outriders its “next big franchise” as it reaches 3.5m unique players • Eurogamer.net
- Outriders Trickster Build Guide | Best Trickster Build Outriders
- Sony Seems Poised To Abandon The PS4 For The PS5
- Outriders’ Game Pass Launch Has Paid Off, According to Square Enix
- Square Enix pleased with Outriders sales and praises Xbox Game Pass’ ability to build an install base
- Square Enix says putting Outriders on Xbox Game Pass has “worked in its favour” • Eurogamer.net
- Square Enix Hasn’t Given Outriders Developer Any Royalties Yet
- Square Enix praises Outriders Game Pass launch, says player numbers exceeded expectations
- Outriders Developer Hasn’t Received Royalties from Square Enix
- The Sims 4’s old Spa Day expansion is getting a big content refresh next week • Eurogamer.net