I regularly get asked, “What is your favorite game of all time?” If you’re like me, you probably hem and haw and then rattle off like five games in response. It’s hard to pick a single favorite sometimes, but I’ve noticed that Super Metroid is almost always in that list of five. Nintendo’s haunting exploration-based sci-fi thriller blew my mind as a kid, and it’s one of those rare classics that remains incredibly fun to play even decades after its release. I loved MercurySteam’s take on the series with 2017’s Metroid: Samus Returns, so I’m beyond thrilled that it’s getting a second bite at the apple with Metroid Dread.
I can’t wait to explore planet ZDR, a whole new alien world, as I slowly acquire new powers. Samus can now use magnetic grapples to climb walls and the new Phantom Cloak renders her temporarily invisible. That last power sounds like it will be incredibly useful as a new enemy type, called E.M.M.I. (Extraplanetary Multiform Mobile Identifier), is very hard to kill and will chase Samus relentlessly, like Resident Evil 2’s Mr. X. Who knows, maybe after Metroid Dread releases on October 8 it could crack my top five favorites.
- 10 Retro Indie Games To Evoke Your Favorite Games Of The Past
- Fighting games’ favorite furry SonicFox gets their own plush
- What Are Your Favorite Games of E3 2024?
- Shigeru Miyamoto’s Favorite Games Include Tetris And Pokémon Go
- The ID Super Saver Sale is Back with Great Deals on Your Favorite Games
- Rift Apart Was Jim Ryan’s Favorite Game Of The Last Year
- Chivalry 2 Developers Share Their Favorite Map
- Edgar Wright on why he wasn’t afraid to demystify Sparks, his favorite band
- My favorite gaming mouse is the Logitech G Pro Wireless
- Do you have a favorite version of Windows?