We’ve already published our Tales of Arise PS5 review and Life Is Strange: True Colors PS5 review, so you may be wondering where our NBA 2K22 review is. This one is going to take a little while, we’re afraid: that’s because due to the online nature of the release we only received review code until about an hour before launch day, 10th September.
Our goal with this game is to focus on the PlayStation 5 version first and bring you a full review, however due to the significant differences between next-gen and current-gen, we’ll also be taking a look at the PS4 edition as well. Whether that ends up being a full review or a Mini Review is undetermined at this stage, but there will be two reviews for this game when all’s said and done.
Our first impressions are relatively positive, although the new open world format does come with some caveats, namely loading into and out of the City, which is the game’s sandbox hub. The gameplay feels a little faster, which we like, and the pace of matches appears to have been sped up. We’re also quite fond of the new blocking systems, which have been rewritten and feel very natural.
As always with this series, despite the criticism it attracts, there’s absolutely loads to do – a worrying array of modes and features, actually. So, it’ll take us a few days to dig in and explore everything it has to offer. In the meantime, we’re compiling an NBA 2K22 guide, including Best Builds for MyPlayer and MyCareer and All Locker Codes, so check that out if you’re looking for more on the game.
Push Square | Latest Updates
- NBA 2K22 Drills Down New PS5, PS4 Features
- NBA 2K22 to Stay Fresh with Evolving PS5, PS4 Soundtrack
- 2K Sports Taking NBA 2K22 Marketing to the Buzzer on PS5, PS4
- NBA 2K22 Review in Progress
- NBA 2K22 – “The W” Receives New Progression Features and Activities on Xbox Series X/S, PS5
- NBA 2K22 PS5 Gameplay Trailer Throws It Down
- NBA 2K22’s Career Mode Is Now Essentially an Open World RPG on PS5
- Everything We Know About NBA 2K22 So Far
- NBA 2K22 first gameplay features, mode details, screenshots revealed
- NBA 2K22 narrative experience brings MyCAREER and the City together, more features detailed