As Bethesda Game Studios’ first new universe in about 25 years, there’s quite a bit riding on Starfield. The space-faring RPG was officially revealed at the Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase with a 2024 release date and exclusivity to Xbox. No gameplay was showcased but director Todd Howard did provide a few more details when speaking to The Telegraph.
Regarding Constellation, the group that players join from the outset, Howard said, “The game is set about 300 plus years in our own future. And Constellation is this kind of last group of space explorers. It’s like NASA meets Indiana Jones meets the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a group of people that are still searching for answers.”
Of course, this is a Bethesda title so Constellation isn’t the only faction kicking around in space. “There are a lot of factions in the game but that’s the main one that you’ll become a part of. It’s kind of like Skyrim in terms of the structure of the game, where you’re going to be who you want to be, and then there’s different factions that you can join, and really carve your own path,” said Howard.
This sounds all well and good but what’s going on plot-wise? While he didn’t divulge any details, there will be some “big questions” asked. “We ask some big questions in the game – the kind that people have asked when they look to the sky, you know? ‘What’s out there?’ Why are we here? How do we get here?’ And we get into science, we get into religion. I really enjoy thinking about those big questions. I see them in other [forms of] entertainment and I think we have a unique way of presenting it with a game like this, where maybe we don’t have all the answers but I think it’s good to get people thinking.”
One thing is for sure though – the random speculation about actor Tom Cruise being in the game? It’s not happening. “Sorry – no, as of today!” Never say never, of course.
Starfield is slated to release on November 11th 2024 for Xbox Series X/S and PC. It will also launch day one on Xbox Game Pass. Along with being the studio’s first new IP in a long while, it’s also developed on the new Creation Engine 2. Stay tuned for more details and hopefully some gameplay in the coming months.
Video Game News, Reviews, Walkthroughs And Guides | GamingBolt
- Starfield Is ‘Skyrim In Space,’ Says Todd Howard
- The Elder Scrolls 6 is Still in the Design Phase – Todd Howard
- TODD HOWARD GIVES ELDER SCROLLS 6 UPDATE, ROCKSTAR FOUNDER'S NEW STUDIO & MORE
- Bethesda’s Todd Howard Says He First Pitched Its Indiana Jones Game Back In 2009
- Satisfactory update 5 has a rampload of new cosmetics and structure parts
- Starfield launches 11 years to the day after Skyrim
- Good News, Skyrim Is Re-Releasing For The Millionth Time With Skyrim Anniversary Edition
- Core Keeper looks kind of like Stardew Valley, but in a cave
- Stop! Go! Die! Traffic Jams VR is kind of fun but only if you play it like a jerk • Eurogamer.net
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Sequel Will Play A Lot Like Intermission