Starfield will not be coming to PlayStation 5, GamesBeat is reporting. Instead, Bethesda’s first-person science fiction role-playing adventure appears set to be a major console exclusive for Xbox Series X|S.
GamesBeat cites sources familiar with the decision in its report. Reporter Jeff Grubb earlier tweeted that “Starfield is exclusive to Xbox and PC. Period.”
We reached out to Microsoft and Bethesda representatives for comment regarding these reports.
First announced at E3 2018, Starfield is the anticipated sci-fi successor to popular Bethesda RPGs Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. Little is known about the game itself at this point. The Bethesda Engine was also confirmed to be getting its largest ever upgrade late last year.
Microsoft’s acquisition of Bethesda in September 2022 raised questions about whether Starfield would remain multi-platform or would become an exclusive. Deathloop, which was announced before the acquisition, remains a timed exclusive for PS5. Xbox has a history of being more open to releasing its first-party titles on other platforms, with Ori and Minecraft Dungeons both releasing on Nintendo Switch.
Questions remain, but if these reports are accurate, we have a much better sense of Xbox’s intentions for Bethesda and its other major acquisitions going forward. Starfield does not have a release date yet.
IGN Video Games
- Beyond Good and Evil 2 still exists, according to Ubisoft financial report
- Starfield reportedly to be an Xbox & PC exclusive and won’t be coming to PlayStation
- Bethesda’s Starfield Will Not Release on PS5, PS4
- Shin Megami Tensei 5 coming to Nintendo Switch in November – report
- Report: Game Boy, Game Boy Color Games Are Coming to Nintendo Switch Online
- Starfield – New Details You Need to Know
- Epic Star Wars mod for Fallout: New Vegas looks like Starfield with Sith
- Starfield reveals new locations, drug fish, and a Velociraptor-Wolf
- Three New Starfield Videos Show Off More Locations For Bethesda’s Space RPG
- PS5 VR headset has an HDR OLED display, 110-degree FOV, will support AAA hybrid games – report