Final Fantasy VII Remake brought an enduring classic of a JRPG to life for new audiences when it debuted on PlayStation 4. Final Fantasy VII is one of the all-time greats when it comes to the PlayStation library, and seeing it get a new lease on life was a treat for fans and newcomers alike. Now, it’s getting an upgraded and expanded edition in the form of Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, with additional content for both those who are taking the journey for the first time and the veterans who have been along for the ride since the ’90s.
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is set to debut on June 10, which isn’t that far away. If you want to jump right in, however, you might benefit from reading over a few pieces of core information before taking the game for a spin, whether you need to brush up on what to expect or what this new version of the game actually is. Here are three things you need to know before playing.
1. Yuffie Kisaragi is joining the team
The original Final Fantasy VII Remake, while covering plenty of ground, didn’t quite get to fan-favorite Yuffie’s part of the story. While originally it was believed she would be seen in the next full-fledged installment of Final Fantasy VII Remake, Square Enix surprised fans with a new “Intermission” chapter to bridge the gap.
Yuffie will get two entire chapters to herself that find her breaking into the city of Midgar on behalf of Avalanche as she works to steal powerful Materia from the Shinra Corporation. You’ll get to play as the skilled ninjutsu expert from Wutai, and throughout her narrative, you’ll learn more about her as a character as well as more about Avalanche as an organization, with plenty of new recruits to get to know.
In addition to Yuffie, there are also characters from previous Final Fantasy games, like Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII to look out for, so those familiar with the series should have plenty to look forward to.
2. Yuffie has her own play style and abilities
Like the rest of the team in Final Fantasy VII Remake, Yuffie will bring along her own combat abilities, both close and long-range. She can throw her ninjutsu star or use it to batter enemies. But that’s not all — her Elemental Ninjutsu lets her use spells that correspond to ice, fire, lightning, and wind to deal massive amounts of damage.
She’s not to be trifled with, clearly, but she’s also got a few surprises up her sleeve. Her new Banishment and Windstorm attacks should be capable of clearing out peskier mobs, and that’s even before you count Yuffie’s attacks when paired with partner Sonon. So while you might be familiar with the squad in the base game, you’ll have to take some time to get used to playing as Yuffie as well, if you want to succeed in battle.
3. There’s a redesigned Fort Condor mini-game
Fort Condor was a location you’d normally visit in the original Final Fantasy VII, but it likely just won’t appear in its entirety in Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade. Instead, the location, which originally was home to a Mako Reactor, has been made into a board game of sorts that appears in the new DLC chapters. It’ll be a fun, playable option to engage in on the side, as you work to destroy enemy headquarters by placing a variety of units on the battlefield. You can use materia to stack the odds in your favor as well. It should add some fun variety to the game’s plentiful battle opportunities, especially if you tend to tire of continuously fighting all the time.
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is due out for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 on June 10.
ASTRO Gaming Blog
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade – 16 Things You Need To Know Before You Buy
- Director Tetsuya Nomura discusses bringing Yuffie to life in Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade – PlayStation.Blog
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade – PlayStation.Blog
- 5 Best Changes In Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade On PS5
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade Gets Details on Nero, Scarlet, Battle Mechanics and More
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade Gets Loads of Glorious PS5 Screenshots, Stunning Key Art
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade: What Comes in Each Edition
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade’s Yuffie Mission Is A Must-Play
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade for PS5 Introduces Nero, Ramuh, and More In New Screenshots
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade PS5 Download Size Is Still Huge