The December debut of Cyberpunk 2077 carried CD Projekt to record heights, but the publisher’s quarterly report encore was somewhat less impressive.
While CD Projekt posted record first-quarter sales for the three months ended March 31, the PLN 198 million ($53.9 million) it put up in Cyberpunk 2077’s first full quarter on sale was just 2% more than what it had brought in for the same period last year.
As for what was behind the nearly flat sales, CD Projekt cited a tough comparison against its first quarter 2022 performance.
“In 2022 the sales figures posted by the group benefitted from lockdowns and stay-at-home restrictions introduced during that time in various countries due to the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic, increased recognition of The Witcher universe in the wake of the December 2019 premiere of The Witcher TV series, as well as revenues generated from sales of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for Nintendo Switch, also released in late 2019,” the company said.
“These factors, all of which supported sales in Q1 2022, subsided throughout the year, leading to lower revenues from sales of The Witcher product family in 2022, but offset by revenues from sales of Cyberpunk 2077 – mainly digital editions of the game for PC and Xbox platforms.”
While sales were up for the quarter, profits were down 65% year-over-year, with the company reporting a net income of PLN 32.5 million ($8.87 million).
“Lower than usual net profitability is mainly due to continuing depreciation of Cyberpunk 2077 development expenditures, work on updating the game, and R&D activities related to future projects,” CD Projekt VP and CFO Piotr Nielubowicz said.
The company did not provide an update on Cyberpunk 2077 sales.
CD Projekt’s current slate includes next-gen versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt in the back half of this year, as well as the launch of the location-based mobile game The Witcher: Monster Slayer, set for release by Studio Spokko this summer.
- Ubisoft sales down 17% in first quarter
- Take-Two sales dip in first quarter
- Cyberpunk 2077 Ready For Release Six Months After Release
- PS Store Sales Charts: Cyberpunk 2077 Was June's Best-Selling PS4 Game Following PS Store Return
- Microsoft Aims to Release One New First-Party Game to Game Pass Every Quarter
- GameStop reports second quarter sales growth
- Call Of Duty 2022 Confirmed To Be Cross-Gen And Still Planned For Fourth Quarter Release
- Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Has 160 Staff Working On Game’s First Expansion
- Cyberpunk 2077's "biggest patch to date" includes first batch of post-launch DLC freebies • Eurogamer.net
- Cyberpunk 2077 will get its first free DLC with upcoming patch