“We can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on”.
Bend Studio, perhaps best known as the developer behind 2019’s post-apocalyptic bikes-and-zombies adventure Days Gone, has revealed it’s working on a new IP.
Days Gone – which initially launched on PS4 before making it way to PC earlier this year – was the studio’s first crack at a new IP since its acquisition by Sony in 2000; prior to that game, the developer was largely known for adapting the likes of Uncharted and Resistance for Sony’s handheld consoles, the PSP and Vita.
Announcing its next project in a statement on Twitter, Bend wrote, “We are beyond grateful for your support with Days Gone and are truly honoured by the amount of passion our community has shared with us for our world and characters. Your enthusiasm motivates us to continue to improve and create experiences that will last a lifetime.”
“From the Syphon Filter series to Resistance: Retribution, to Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Days Gone,” it continued, “we are very excited to announce today that we are expanding the Bend Studio portfolio with a brand new IP”.
Bend’s announcement follows a report from Bloomberg earlier this year claiming the studio had pitched a Days Gone sequel to Sony in 2019, one that was ultimately rejected due to the original’s lengthy development and mixed critical reception.
In response to that news, almost 80,000 fans signed a petition asking Sony to reconsider its stance on a sequel. “They can’t just pull the plug on such an amazing game that ended with a cliff hanger,” its organiser wrote.
There’s no clue as to what Bend might have in store for its next project – just one of 25 games currently in development by PlayStation Studios, according to studio head Hermen Hulst – but the developer concludes, “We hope you embark on this new journey with us, and we can’t wait to show you what we’ve been working on.”
- Days Gone studio Sony Bend working on “exciting new IP” it’s “very passionate about”
- Sony Bend’s New PS5 IP Will Build on Days Gone’s Open World
- Sony Bend is Working on a New Open World IP
- Days Gone Developer’s New IP Will Have Multiplayer, as Per Job Ad
- Kingdoms of Amalur’s new DLC Fatesworn still coming, developer says • Eurogamer.net
- Bend water at will as the new wave-riding Warframe Yareli – PlayStation.Blog
- Days Gone review | PC Gamer
- Days Gone is available on PC today, get started with survival tips – PlayStation.Blog
- Days Gone on PC – 13 Things You Should Know Before You Buy
- Days Gone Rides Onto The PC