Nintendo has announced that Koei Tecmo’s Fatal Frame: Maiden Of Black Water is coming to Switch later this year.
The surprise announcement came as part of the company’s E3 2023 Nintendo Direct, and while we hoped to see the Fatal Frame series (known as Project Zero in Europe) return, a port of a game that launched on Wii U and relied on its second screen Gamepad functionality so heavily made it an unlikely candidate for a Switch port. Unlikely, but not impossible!
Happily for fans of the series who have been clamouring for its return, it’s being given a second chance to shine on Switch — and not only Switch. The original game was published by Nintendo on Wii U, but it seems the Koei Tecmo will be putting it out on PlayStation 4/5 and Xbox One/Series X|S and PC. It appears that Koei Tecmo has come to an ‘arrangement’ with Nintendo on this one.
A turn-up for the books, to be sure, but a welcome one for fans of the series who missed out on this excellent Wii U entry in the survival horror series.
Here are some more details from the PR plus some screenshots from NOA’s game page:
In this horror adventure game, you’ll cast out ghosts using the Camera Obscura and explore the mysteries surrounding the ethereal but deadly Mt. Hikami. The spine-chilling story features various protagonists, letting you experience the game from different perspectives. This version of the game also includes new costumes!
There’s no solid date on the game announced, just a vague “later this year” at the moment.
Excited to see this game given a second life on Switch? Did you play the original? Let us know below.
Nintendo Life | Latest Updates
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is releasing on multiple platforms, including the Switch, on October 28th
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water escapes Wii U exclusivity to hit PC
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water confirmed digital-only on Switch in the west, but going physical in Japan / Asia with English support
- Keisuke Kikuchi says that the response to Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water Switch has been “more positive than we anticipated”
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water on Switch won’t include Zero Suit Samus or Zelda costumes
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water screenshots show new costumes for Switch release
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water is Guaranteed to Send Shivers Down Your Spine
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water PC port gets a release date
- Fatal Frame producer hopes Maiden of Black Water re-release will lead to a new game
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water Coming October 28