Hacking Metroidvania Recompile will invade console and PC motherboards this August. The eye-catching indie game puts players in digital shoes of a sentient rogue code exploring the electrifying digital wasteland of a computer mainframe.
Gameplay consists of 3D platforming and third-person shooting, not to mention plenty of physics-based hacking. Exploration is non-linear with Metroidvania qualities, such as finding abilities or items to open new paths while also solving logic puzzles to overcome obstacles. We were impressed with Recompile when it first made noise last year, but if this is your first time catching wind of the game, you should check out its latest gameplay trailer to see what’s in store.
On the story front, you’re taking on a malevolent AI overseer called the Hypervisor while uncovering the Mainframe’s original purpose. The narrative also explores familiar themes such as the nature of machine sentience. Depending on your actions, which includes deciding whether to hack or destroy enemies or what systems to repair, you’ll unlock one of several different endings. The coolest twist is that the entire tale unfolds over the course of just one second in real time.
Developer Phigames still hasn’t specified an exact release date for Recompile outside of “August”. Still, game director Phi Dinh couldn’t be happier to be approaching the light at the end of the tunnel.
“The finish line for Recompile is finally in sight. I’m super proud that we can finally show off the new-gen version, as well as the amazing new guest track by 65daysofstatic,” says Dinh. “It’s going to be great to watch players try their hands at the hacking mechanics and see how they put their skills to use in the Recompile Mainframe.”
Recompile is coming to PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S (including Game Pass), and PC.
Are you looking forward to Recompile? Let us know in the comments!
- Hacking adventure Recompile releases this August • Eurogamer.net
- Virtual Metroidvania Indie Game Recompile Hacks onto PS5 This August
- Hack and Slash Your Way Out of Hell in Hades Starting August 13 with Xbox Game Pass
- Songs of Conquest gets a release window and new gameplay trailer
- WWE 2K22 Gets March 2024 Release Window & New Teaser Trailer
- Recompile Gets a Release Date for PS5, Xbox Series X|S, PC, & Game Pass
- Cave is making Touhou Project bullet hell danmaku shoot’em-up
- Shoot ’em up game Crisis Wing coming to Switch in September
- NERF: Legends Will Allow You To Shoot Enemies With Annoying Soft Darts In October
- Shoot for glory in the NBA 2K21 PlayStation Tournaments: NBA Finals – PlayStation.Blog