This story is part of a group of stories called
E3 2024 takes place June 12-15 as a re-imagined, all-virtual online event. Nintendo, Xbox, Bethesda, Square Enix, Sega, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft, Capcom, and others will deliver new video game announcements, trailers, release dates, and more.
Icarus, the next game from DayZ creator Dean Hall’s Rocketwerkz studio, launches on Steam Aug. 11. In a surprise announcement, the session-based multiplayer survival game will not be free-to-play. Instead the game will cost $29.99, and will be released in chapters. The announcement was made Sunday during the PC Gaming Show presentation, and was accompanied by a new trailer.
“We didn’t want the business model to get in the way of the game experience,” Hall said in a news release. “We also heard loud and clear from our community that they wanted to avoid the pitfalls of free-to-play. We want Icarus to continually evolve as a living game, always adding new session challenges and game modes. We think regular chapters and content updates are a great way to deliver.”
Icarus puts players in the role of pioneering explorers trying to tame a wild, alien world. The session-based gameplay puts a time limit on each mission, challenging players to gather resources before their ship back to orbit leaves them behind. You can read more, including an interview with Dean Hall, in our hands-on preview.
A deluxe edition, which will include two follow-on chapters of downloadable content, will also be available for $99.95.
Polygon – All
- DayZ creator Dean Hall’s sci-fi survival game Icarus delayed until November • Eurogamer.net
- DayZ creator Dean Hall delays space survival game Icarus to November
- Icarus release date, trailer, and everything we know about the free-to-play survival game from Dean Hall and Rocketwerkz
- Diablo 2: Resurrected beta: Early access Aug. 13, open beta Aug. 20
- From battle royale to burnout with former DayZ director Brian Hicks
- Mini DayZ 2 Now Available
- Working at Roblox: Meet Nathan Dean
- Icarus is a brutal survival game designed to “feel like Skyrim”
- Rocketwerkz announces open beta for survival game Icarus
- Every Game Coming Out This Week: July 26- Aug 1