No, the couple probably did not have a Mario-themed wedding (well, not as far as I know!), but rather, the term refers to how both Hoshino and Aragaki have recently appeared in Nintendo commercials.
Here’s Hoshino in a Super Mario Bros. ad celebrating the franchise’s 35th anniversary.
His recent song “Create” was inspired by Mario, it seems.
Aragaki is currently the face of Animal Crossing in Japan, appearing in spots for New Horizons and plastered all over the official Japanese site.
Over the last few years, she’s also been selling Ring Fit Adventure and the Switch in general to the Japanese public.
In Japan, commercials are a good barometer of how popular a celebrity is: the most, big, mainstream ads they appear in, the more popular and embraced by the general public they are. (Of course, Japan is not unique in this regard!)
The couple didn’t actually meet through Nintendo; back in 2016, they starred together in a live-action TV version of manga The Full-Time Wife Escapist.
- Stardew Valley Speedrun Marriage World Record Woos Shane
- Japan: Nintendo Switch software occupied entire Top 30 in Japan during week 31, 2022 (First since 1988)
- TIE Fighter Remade With Modern Graphics
- Tormented Souls review — Eye of the tie girl
- Alien books ranked: Best Game of Thrones-style fantasy to worst movie tie-ins
- Here’s a stunning mod that remakes the original TIE Fighter
- Valorant’s League of Legends tie-in adds a mammoth spectral sword
- 1994’s TIE Fighter has been modded into 1999’s X-Wing Alliance, spectacularly
- Evil Genius 2 gets free Team Fortress 2 tie-in DLC today, new paid update
- PS5 Abandoned Game Speculation Continues When Another Tie To Konami Was Spotted