Bandai Namco and the National Basketball Association are commemorating Pac-Man’s 41st birthday with a special event in the mobile game, Pac-Man. The mascot’s official website also shared artwork from the developers and producers to celebrate. Namco’s yellow puck made his debut in Japanese arcades on May 22, 1980.
Pac-Man’s collaboration with the NBA involves 20 levels in the mobile title. Each level will represent the teams in the NBA Playoffs and State Farm NBA Play-In Tournament. Additionally, the game will have power-ups and cards with a basketball motif. Bandai Namco has partnered with the NBA since Pac-Man’s 40th anniversary.
It’s a celebration!
— NBA (@NBA) May 22, 2022
Bandai Namco also has various games and merchandise on sale in its official store. All of the discounted items involve Pac-Man, from T-shirts to Steam Keys to Funko POP figures.
Celebrate @officialpacman‘s birthday with up to 30% off PAC-MAN merch, games, & apparel!
— Bandai Namco US (@BandaiNamcoUS) May 21, 2022
Pac-Man developers and partners like Nintendo also shared their support for his 41st. The mascot’s official site shared a plethora of hand-drawn and digital art featuring special birthday messages. Nintendo tweeted out a brief clip of the classic puck on its Twitter account. As a reminder, Pac-Man 99 is available on the Nintendo Switch exclusively to the console’s online subscribers.
— Nintendo of America (@NintendoAmerica) May 22, 2022
Earlier in May 2022, Bandai Namco announced a positive “Pac-tive” initiative involving its flagship icon. The company asked fans to “be Pac-tive in body, mind and within [their] community.” The company even partnered with artists Yaeji and Weirdcore to produce a song and music video encouraging positivity.
Pac-Man released in Japanese arcades 41 years ago on May 22, 1980. Pac-Man is available on nearly any video game device, and then some. However, the NBA content is only for iOS and Android.
- Motohiro Okubo, the producer behind Pac-Man 99 and latest Tekken and Soul Calibur, leaving Bandai Namco after 25 years
- Pac-Man 99 surpasses four million downloads, new DLC announced
- The best Ms. Pac-Man fan art (that we drew)
- PAC-MAN 99 Surpasses Four Million Downloads, New Content On The Way
- Pac-Man 99 has now surpassed four million downloads on Nintendo Switch plus new DLC announced
- A Hopping Mappy theme for Pac-Man 99 is now available to download for free from the Switch eShop
- Pac-Man 99 Splatterhouse theme released for free, all DLC on sale
- Bandai Namco Is Giving PAC-MAN 99 Players A Free Splatterhouse Theme
- Ninjala Celebrates Its First Anniversary With A Demon Slayer Anime Collab
- Human: Fall Flat Celebrates 30 Million Sales And New Level Reveal On Fifth Anniversary