This story is part of a group of stories called
E3 2024 takes place June 12-15 as a re-imagined, all-virtual online event. Nintendo, Xbox, Bethesda, Square Enix, Sega, Bandai Namco, Ubisoft, Capcom, and others will deliver new video game announcements, trailers, release dates, and more.
One day we will probably experience an E3 where not a single developer announces a new multiplayer shooter, but it certainly isn’t this one. Thankfully, Redfall, developed by Arkane Austin, actually seems like something pretty unique.
Redfall is an open-world, co-op shooter about a city overrun with vampires that’s somewhere between multiplayer and single-player. When introducing the trailer during Microsoft’s press conference at E3 2024 on Sunday, the company’s vice president of gaming Phil Spencer described Redfall as an open-world shooter that players will be able to enjoy on their own or with friends.
In the game’s extended trailer, it seems that it will feature several unique characters who each have different powers and weapons, giving it a distinctly hero-shooter vibe as the group works together to fight off some extra-powerful vampires. According to the game’s description on YouTube, players will be able to choose their character from a diverse cast and then explore the open world with their friends as they attempt to liberate the town of Redfall, Massachusetts from its new vampire occupants.
Part of what makes Redfall so interesting is the team behind it. Arkane Austin has previously developed games like 2018’s Prey reboot, as well as games in the Dishonored franchise. This new project is led by the studio’s creative director Harvey Smith and co-creative director Ricardo Bare. This team has made great single-player games that don’t immediately make you think, “These guys should make a multiplayer shooter next,” at least on paper. That leaves the door open for plenty of surprises, and maybe even for some of Arkane’s creative mechanics and complex level design to make its way into the studio’s upcoming multiplayer title.
Redfall is set to be released on PC and Xbox Series X on Summer 2024 and will be available on Game Pass. Since Arkane Studios is part of Bethesda Softworks, which was recently acquired by Microsoft, this new game won’t be coming to PlayStation platforms.
Polygon – All
- Redfall: Everything we know about Arkane’s co-op vampire shooter
- Redfall leak sure makes it look like a looter-shooter
- Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodhunt Preview – Battle Royale Meets Vampires (No, Seriously)
- Sexy villains: Why Loki, Kylo Ren, and vampires are allowed to be hot
- Mech Arena: Robot Showdown is Plarium’s new arena shooter that provides perfect multiplayer mayhem, out now for mobile | Articles
- Fast-paced multiplayer shooter Solaris Offworld Combat comes to PS VR tomorrow – PlayStation.Blog
- Arcadegeddon is a PS5 and PC multiplayer shooter from the developer of Predator: Hunting Grounds • Eurogamer.net
- District 9, Chappie Director Helping to Make Multiplayer Shooter on PS5
- Multiplayer Party Shooter Have a Blast Coming August 26
- Bethesda’s Starfield, Redfall bookend Xbox E3 conference