James Cameron’s Avatar hit theaters way back in 2009, featuring some groundbreaking special effects and 3D tech, and became one of the highest-grossing movies of all time. And while it was certainly lesser known, Ubisoft partnered with the franchise to release an accompanying game that same year. Despite the long time that has passed since that original partnership, it appears that the two teams continue to be working with each other, as today brought the announcement of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora.
The new game is a first-person action-adventure in which players take on the role of a Na’vi as they journey across a place in Pandora called the Western Frontier. There, you interact with a wide variety of creatures from the strange alien planet, as well as fight back against the human RDA forces that threaten to despoil the pristine wilderness.
Frontiers of Pandora is being developed by Massive Entertainment, and the game is using the latest version of the Snowdrop Engine, which makes sense, as that same engine powered The Division 2, which was also developed by Massive. With a game this big, you can bet it’s also being developed in partnership with the cinematic teams at Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney.
In a first-look trailer, which you can watch above, we see the blue-skinned Na’vi interacting with the varied creatures of their world, but the humans and their RDA war machines eventually show up to ruin the fun. This leads to an extensive midair battle, in which the Na’vi fly their dragon-like Mountain Banshees to try and win the day.
Avatar Frontiers of Pandora is scheduled for release in 2024, and is targeting PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, PC, Stadia, and Luna.
- Ubisoft’s Avatar game is called Frontiers of Pandora, and it’s out next year
- Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora lead Ubisoft’s E3
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora tech showcase details improvements made to Snowdrop engine
- Ubisoft explains why Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora had to be a new-gen game
- Ubisoft’s Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora game revealed at E3 2024
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Will Let Players Be A Na’vi
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Announced for PS5, Xbox Series X, PC and Stadia
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora Snowdrop Tech Showcase Released
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora will be a ‘brand new story with new characters’
- Frontiers of Pandora shown in Ubisoft Snowdrop tech trailer