The DualShock 4 includes two different-sized rotating weights, whereas the DualSense includes two weights that can move forward and backward. Margenau explains how the DualSense is “almost like a speaker,” as it can produce frequency and amplitude at an “extremely high fidelity and low latency.”
As many of you are jumping back into TLOU2 on PS5, you may notice the haptics feel better. This is actually thanks to a firmware update to the DualSense controller back in April. THREAD: pic.twitter.com/zle0XQwDw6
— Kurt Margenau (@kurtmargenau) May 21, 2022
So, the DualSense firmware would have to allow the controller to receive “old signals,” that would spin up the motor to produce a higher latency and, in turn, emulate the feeling in a new controller by using a completely different mechanical method, such as the “rumbly feeling” that comes with a rotating motor, according to Margenau.
Essentially, all this means is that all the work done to improve the DualSense’s haptics in The Last of Us Part II was done solely from inside the controller without Naughty Dog having to alter the game code.
The new firmware update expands on the features already supported in The Last of Us Part II. As GamesRadar reported in November, the game supported the DualSense’s flagship feature, noting that the game’s combat allows PS5 owners to “feel the tension” when using the controller’s adaptive triggers, such as firing a gun.
Taylor is the Associate Tech Editor at IGN. You can follow her on Twitter @TayNixster.
IGN Video Games
- Lost Judgment Localization Director Explains Why its English Lip Sync isn’t as “Silky” as Yakuza 7
- 343 Industries explains why we haven’t seen Halo Infinite campaign gameplay since last year • Eurogamer.net
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake Co-director Explains Why Yuffie Was Chosen For Episode INTERmission
- Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy’s Creative Director Explains Why Star-Lord Is Only Playable Character
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart’s Pixelizer HD Plays a Funky Melody with PS5 Pad’s Haptics
- FIFA 22 Will Make Goals Feel Better Than Ever on PS5
- The Last of Us: Part 2 is better for not giving players what they want | Why I Love
- Why are modders restoring the look and feel of Cyberpunk 2018?
- Battlefield V is suddenly one of Steam’s top ten games
- Nintendo’s Bill Trinen on Breath of the Wild 2: “By the time you finish playing it, I think everyone’s probably going to feel that this is its own thing”