PlayStation is normally pretty savvy when it comes to high-profile fashion collaborations, but this latest partnership with luxury label Balenciaga, consisting of a t-shirt and hoodie that both cost more than an actual PlayStation 5, is dumb.
While luxury labels dipping their toes into this popular culture/streetwear stuff is nothing new, the extraordinary prices being charged here—$675 for the shirts and an incredible $875 for the hoodie—are gross. I know that’s the point. I know the whole reason Sony even signed this deal is so they can see headlines like the one I wrote above and revel in the press.
But fine, if I’m taking the bait, how about this: there is such a thing as bad press, and in a time when PlayStation fans are still having trouble buying a console, while at the same time living through a global pandemic and ever-widening income equality, maybe teaming up with a luxury fashion label to charge $675 for a shirt that looks like something Best Buy staff had to wear on launch night isn’t the best look.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons UNIQLO shirts available for purchase
- The Konami Code Celebrates Its 35th Anniversary With Shirts!
- Ratchet & Clank does New Game Plus better than anyone else
- How Much Would It Cost To Build A PC As Powerful As The PS5? (2023 Edition)
- Ex-PlayStation boss predicts Sony’s PS5 games will cost $200m to make • Eurogamer.net
- PS5 Games Could Cost $200 Million to Make, Incentivizing Less Risky Projects, ex-PlayStation Boss Predicts
- Horizon Forbidden West PS4 to PS5 Upgrade Will Be Free But Sony’s Future First-Party Games’ Upgrades Will Cost $10
- Nintendo reiterates to The Verge that new Switch OLED model “does not have a new CPU, or more RAM”
- how does PS5 compare to Xbox Series X? • Eurogamer.net
- What Does Super Resolution Feature Mean For PS5 And Xbox Series X | S?