Company says decision is to ensure quality of the game and maintain well-being of the team
Sony today announced that it has delayed the sequel of God of War to 2023.
Santa Monica Studio said on Twitter, “We remain focused on delivering a top-quality game while maintaining the safety and well-being of our team, creative partners, and families. With this in mind, we’ve made the decision to shift our release window to 2023.”
The delay was also shared by head of PlayStation Studios Herman Hulst on the official PlayStation Blog.
Hulst echoed Santa Monica Studio’s reasoning, and also cautioned that while Sony is planning to launch Horizon Forbidden West this holiday season, that window “isn’t quite certain yet.”
When asked about the division’s development vision going forward, Hulst shared that the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7 will be releasing on the PlayStation 4 console as well.
“You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business,” said Hulst.
“Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.”
- God of War and Persona 5 demonstrate why we want to attack and dethrone god
- God of War Ragnarok Director on How the Sequel Will Further Explore Kratos and Atreus' Story
- God Of War Sequel Pushed To 2023
- Well? We're Waiting! Fans Dig Up Sony's God of War, PSVR Summer Promise
- DayZ creator Dean Hall delays space survival game Icarus to November
- Nintendo of America confirms Zelda & Loftwing amiibo impacted by “unforeseen” shipping delays
- Valheim developer delays Hearth and Home content, plots new roadmap
- Weird PS5 Game Abandoned Delays Trailer App to Friday
- Abandoned Game Director Delays PS5 App, Full Reveal Set For August
- Ubisoft delays Rainbow Six Extraction and Riders Republic out of September