Earlier this morning, Sega released a brand-new trailer featuring gameplay from the upcoming title, Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown. An arcade launch will follow the June 1 console launch immediately after that on June 2 in Japan only.
The trailer released today features a number of completely new and absolutely stunning character models of Akira, Jacky, Goh, Lion, Pai, El Blaze, Pai, Eileen, Lau, Lei-Fei, Shun, Taka-Arashi, Sarah, and more. The side-by-side comparison shots only make the vast improvements from the original title to Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown more striking.
And it’s not just the character models that have received a major upgrade. The stages, their surrounding environments, and lighting have all received a massive boost. While past paper lanterns looked like they were filled with incandescent bulbs, they now more accurately appear to give off the light of a flame.
On top of that, the water looks more natural, many sharp edges have been smoothed out, and the rest of the lighting looks considerably more accurate compared to the original title. Of course, that’s what will happen when you upgrade a game that originally launched on the PS3 and Xbox 360.
Another part of the reason why everything looks so much better is because Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown is running in the Dragon Engine. This is the exact same engine that the developers of the storied Yakuza franchise use to make it look so good.
And for those who are wondering about the state of Virtua Fighter x esports, you’re looking at it. According to the Japanese livestream from earlier today, Virtua Fighter x esports is just the title for Ultimate Showdown in Japan. Looks like Virtua Fighter fans will just have to wait a little bit longer for the next completely new title in the franchise.
If you want to check out the HD upgrade trailer for Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown, you can find it down below.
- Star Wars Squadrons & Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown among PlayStation Plus games for June
- PlayStation Plus games for June: Operation: Tango, Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown, Star Wars: Squadrons – PlayStation.Blog
- Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown Review – The Final Verdict
- Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown is Focused on Competitive Play
- Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown Review
- Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown Soundtrack Coming This Month
- Street Fighter 5’s final DLC fighter Luke teases Street Fighter 6
- Tekken Director Challenges Virtua Fighter Team To Make Another Game
- Sonic Colors Ultimate Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Tropical Resort Level
- Sonic Colors Ultimate developer Blind Squirrel Games fails to credit open source game engine used for game