If you picked a developer to make a VR survival game, it probably wouldn’t be Galak-Z and Skulls of the Shogun developer 17-Bit. Nonetheless, 17-Bit is going for it with survival game Song in the Smoke, which comes to PC VR and Oculus Quest this summer. A new look at the game from the Upload VR Showcase has a nice-looking overview of what Jake Kazdal and team want to accomplish.
Song in the Smoke will attempt to feel real as a game, with animals that behave depending on their own state. A hungry deer is more frightened of you, while a full one might watch you out of curiosity. “The little, subtle touches is something you can do so much more effectively in VR than in a flat screen game,” Kazdal said in the mini-documentary about Song in the Smoke. Song in the Smoke’s day/night cycle is about encouraging you to explore in the day and stock up by improving your camp at night.
Song in the Smoke has a lot going on, but its biggest emphasis is on being a self-contained world with its own rules for you to explore and survive in. That world is a primordial one, with weird and interesting creatures designed by gaming art legend Katsuya Terada. Much of the game is about evoking the feeling of exploring, but also about the feeling of being a needy, living being in a natural world. The rustle of a branch, for example, is given as an example of something that’s either terrifying—a predator approaching—or delightful—a songbird taking wing.
“We’re hoping that this is one of the first games that people can take their time with, really get lost in,” said Kazdal. “I’m expecting players to be able to really enjoy the beautiful landscapes, these primitive giant forests we’ve built, and really just lose themselves.”
You can learn more about Song in the Smoke on its official website.
- Skate City is introducing the lively city of Tokyo in a major update coming soon to Apple Arcade | Articles
- Survival fans should check out Arid, a free survival game created by students
- Lovecraftian Survival Horror Game Song of Horror is Available Now
- Nintendo: Breath of the Wild 2’s name is a secret because subtitles “start to give little bits of hints about maybe what’s going to happen”
- All the best bits from Gamescom Opening Night Live • Eurogamer.net
- I took on a Survival II horde too early… Days Gone Survival II PC (#4)
- Pistol Whip’s Smoke and Thunder Cinematic Campaign Coming August 12
- Pistol Whip’s free Wild-West-themed story campaign Smoke & Thunder arrives next week • Eurogamer.net
- “We’re Not Currently Looking at In-Game Advertising for Console Games” – EA
- Is Forza Horizon 5 Shaping Up To Be The Best Looking Next-Gen Game?